SO YOU THINK YOU WANT TO BREED
What goes into evaluating a dog or a bitch as "breeding quality"? What tasks and tests
need be done prior to making the decision to breed? Hereís a checklist of minimum
- Do both dog and bitch have full AKC Registration? Look for purple-bordered
certificate. Is person listed as the owner the one presently in possession of the dog?
- Is the bitch co-owned? If so, all owners must sign agreement to breeding and
registration of pups.
- Are both dog and bitch of proper age for breeding? Dog = 2 years or older ; Bitch = at
least 2 yrs and no older than 6 if first breeding.
- Have dog and bitch both been shown with enough success to assume that they meet the
Standard? If not, have they been evaluated by impartial Pyr breeders and strong and weak
- Have dog and bitch had their hips x-rayed and the plates submitted to GDC or OFA for
reading? Are both dogs free of Hip Dysplasia?
- Have dog and bitch been examined for other genetic defects such as, but not limited to
Osteochondritis (shoulder), Luxating Patella (knee), malocclusion (mouth), undescended
testicle (male), poor pigment, poor temperament, thyroid deficiency?
- Have the pedigrees been evaluated for dwarfism and other genetic defects by a member
of the GPCA Health Committee?
- Have owners of both dog and bitch read the Code of Ethics recently with an eye to
understanding their several and joint responsibilities as regards the litter?
- Do both owners understand that they have lifetime responsibility for the pups
produced; that if the owner is the bitch is unable to fulfill that responsibility, the welfare
of the pups produced becomes the responsibility of the owner of the stud dog?
- Have both dogs been recently tested for and found free of brucellosis?
- Has the bitch been recently vaccinated to help boost the immunity in her pups? Has
she been examined by a vet to determine whether there is any vaginal stricture that might
prevent breeding or safe whelping?
- If the dog has not recently produced a live litter, has he had a sperm evaluation?
- Does owner of dog have a written stud contract that conforms to the Code of Ethics?
- Does owner of bitch have a written sales contract that conforms to the Code of
Ethics? Sample copies are available from the GPCC.
- Does the owner of the bitch have both physical and financial capability of caring for a
large litter if all pups donít sell by eight weeks of age?
- Is this a breeding you will still be proud of years from now?
-Catherine de la Cruz
Return to Library